Thursday, August 11, 2011

How can I ask for a rec?

During a long layover, I decided to look at some recommender questions to determine how to best prep my recommenders.   

As I read over some questions at the schools on my list, my stomach sank to the floor.  I realized that perhaps one of my recommenders would not be the best person to answer these questions.  I looked at some questions that asked the recommender to describe the applicant’s peer group and another school asked about advice that the recommender gave to the applicant. 

After looking at those questions, I realized that I did not have the best people identified.  So contrary to a previous post.  I decided that…::drum roll:: 

I’m going to ask my current manager.

I’m not 100% sure how I am going to tackle this and right now I am a nervous mess. In order to move forward, I’m first meeting with my two recommenders ask them about it, and then, I will strategize with my mentor about positioning the question right and hopefully being successful.

How are you handling your recommenders?  Anyone else as nervous as me?

3 comments:

The Applicationist August 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

I just asked my recommenders for a reference letter, the whole preparation process is kind of harrowing. Good luck on your apps!

Motown August 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM  

Thanks for the encouragement. I asked 4 out of 5 recommenders and so far so good :-)

Good Luck to you too!

Cheetarah1980 September 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM  

I was petrified to ask my current manager for a recommendation. My concerns were blown way out of proportion. She was very supportive and even encouraged me to visit schools to get the best idea of where I'd like to go.
If you have some trepidation about asking position it as simply an option. Tell your manager that the chances of getting in are like 15-20% (because that's honestly the admit rates at the schools we're looking at) and that you don't want to regret not at least trying. Let your manager know that you won't decide for sure until you know 1) where you get in and 2) if you can afford to go. This is a big piece. For the sake of perception keep the PT option on the table too (although I doubt you will ever need to go that route). You might be surprised at how supportive your manager can be.

Total Pageviews

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP